Today I made sweet and juicy spread that is Pineapple jam from a ripe pineapple which is free of artificial preservatives, artificial flavours and artificial colors.And it is much healthier than the commercially sold jam available in the stores.
Let me tell you the preservatives added in all the processed or pre-packaged foods, including jams,bread,bakery products,processed meat, dried fruits,juices,sauces,beer and wines have very harmful effects on your body.
Preservatives in foods are designed to prevent the bacterial growth and spoilage.But have you ever looked into the harmful effects of these preservatives??? Just think about all of the food and beverage you consume in a day.The quantities of those preservatives you are eating add up in a day and over your lifetime.And it’s quite worrisome that there are no long term safety studies on the commutative effects.
Now let me tell you some of the harmful effects of preservatives in foods.
- Preservatives in foods can lead to breathing difficulties.Preservatives like aspartame, sulfites, benzoates and yellow dye No.5, can exacerbate breathing problems in asthmatics. Removing foods with such preservatives can reduce the symptoms and severity of asthma.
- Preservatives in foods can lead to hyperactive behaviors in young children.
- Food preservatives can weaken heart tissue.
- One of the most serious harmful effects of preservatives in foods is their ability to transform into carcinogens when digested.Preservatives like nitrosamines, which include nitrites and nitrates,interact with stomach and gastric acids to form cancer causing agents.
Very few people realise they are affected by these preservatives as most people only notice a difference if they switch to preservative free food.
If you really want to avoid these harmful preservatives in your diet,eat fresh, whole foods that are cooked by you. And if you want to preserve food,use natural preservatives like sugar,salt, vinegar, ascorbic acid and citric acid as I do.
My today’s Pineapple jam recipe is from my mom’s cookbook. It’s quite simple and easy to make this sweet and tangy pineapple jam.And I’m sure your kids will ask for more and more.
When you make jams at home the first thing is that, you get preservative free jam with no added artificial color and artificial flavours and also you have the flexibility to control sugar content and you get a fruit jam out of real fruit. Commercially sold jams are often found to be overly sweet and you can hardly feel any presence of real fruit in them.Now lets have a look on the health benefits of pineapple.
Health Benefits of Pineapple-
Spiny outside, sweet inside, Pineapple is a store house of huge health benefits.It contains nutrients, vitamins and minerals, including potassium, copper, manganese, calcium, magnesium, vitamin C,beta carotene,thiamin, vitamin B6 and folate as well as soluble and insoluble fiber,and bromelain. It helps to-
- reduce inflammation of joints and muscles
- reduce risk of arthritis
- prevent cancer of mouth, throat and breast
- reduce risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease
- improve oral and eye health
- boosts immune system
- heal wounds and protects against infections
- protect against constipation, diarrhea and irritable bowel syndrome
- prevent atherosclerosis,heart attacks and strokes
Now let’s get back to our Pineapple jam recipe.Choosing Pineapple for jams is a must.Choose the fruit which is not overripe or unripe.
- 1 ripe pineapple
- 1 cup sugar(1 cup=240 ml)
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- 1 sterilized,dried glass container (for storage purpose)
- Clean the pineapple,just scrap the outer skin.Slice it and then chop into small cubes.
- Take a mixer jar.Put all the chopped pineapple cubes into it and puree it.
- Take a nonstick pan,pour the puree into it and add 1 cup of sugar to that.Place it on medium flame.Keep stirring.
- The sugar will start melting and the mixture will turn runny.
- Let it come to a boil.Now reduce the flame to low.
- Cook the mixture for 10-15′.Keep stirring in between,it will start to thicken.
- When the mixture attains a jam consistency switch off the flame.
- Let it cool down completely.Then add lemon juice and mix well.
- Store it in a clean container.
Clean the pineapple and chop into small cubes
Puree it in a mixer.
Pour the puree in a non stick pan
Add 1cup of sugar to that.
Mixture turns runny as sugar melts when pan placed on medium flame.
Let it come to a boil.Reduce the flame to low.
Mixture After 5‘.
Mixture After 7′.
Mixture After 10′.It will start to thicken.Keep stirring.
Mixture after 15′. Switch off the flame when mixture attains a jam consistency.
Let it cool down completely then add 1tbsp lime juice and mix well.
Serve the jam with toast,bread or paratha.
You can store it in a clean container.
I hope you all liked this recipe.Do try it.Why to buy jam available in the stores with preservatives when you can make your own jam.!!! Eat healthy and stay healthy.