Chicken Momo is a non vegetarian dish famous as a street food snack.It can be steamed as well as deep fried.
It is believed to be of Tibetan origin and later spread to other neighbouring countries with the influx of Tibetan diaspora.Initially this dish was popular among the Newar community of Kathmandu valley.Newar merchants brought the recipe and name momo from Tibet.Later they modified the seasonings of the dish with available ingredients.
Over time momo has become a traditional delicacy in Nepal,Tibet, Sikkim state & Darjeeling district of India.It is one of the most popular fast foods in Nepal.
Traditionally momo is prepared with minced meat filling but these days it is prepared with any combination of ground meat, vegetables,tofu,paneer,cheese and vegetables.The recipe today I’m going to share with you all is for chicken filling.To give it a twist I added egg whites which are a good source of protein, minerals, vitamins and glucose.The ingredients needed to prepare this dish are as listed below-
- Minced chicken-250gms
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste-1 and 1/2 tsp
- Carrots-1/3 cup finely chopped
- Cabbage-1/3 cup finely chopped
- Onion rings-1/3 cup finely chopped
- Onion-1/2 cup finely chopped
- Cilantro leaves-1/3 cup finely chopped
- Eggs boiled-2, remove yolks and finely chop the egg whites
- White pepper powder-1/2tsp
- All purpose flour-2 cups
- Oil- 2+2 tbsp
- Salt as needed
- Soya sauce-1tsp
- Chilli sauce-1tsp
- Tomato sauce-1tsp
Directions-(for the chicken filling)
- To prepare dough,mix all purpose flour,oil and salt then knead it into a dough with water. Keep the dough covered with a damp cloth.
- Heat 2tbsp oil in a non stick pan add ginger garlic paste, saute till the raw smell goes off.
- Add onion,fry till it turns pink in color.
- Next add all the other finely chopped veggies,fry till they get cooked.
- Add minced chicken and mix well then cover and cook for 10′.Keep stirring in-between.
- Add finely chopped egg whites.
- Add salt & white pepper powder.
- Remove from flame add soya sauce, chilli sauce and tomato sauce.
- Let it cool down.
Directions- (for making the momos)
- Take the dough,make small round balls and roll each ball into a very thin roti.
- To make momos of same size you need to follow this step; take a bowl with sharp edge and cut out round rotis of equal shapes.The cutouts should not be very small.
- Now place 1tbsp of chicken stuffing in the centre of the cut out wrap and bring all edges together to the centre, while making pleates.
- Pinch and twist the pleates to ensure proper closure of the stuffed momo.
- Heat up a steamer,oil the rack,place momos with some space left between them.Close the lid and steam it for 15′
- After 15′ ,take the momos off the steamer and immediately serve it with hot tomato chilli sauce or any other sauce of your choice.
Hope you liked this recipe.Please do try it and let me know.
Happy cooking 😃